Hi Steven,

You wrote:

Koch is fairly religious (Catholic) - and has recently written about his religion on his web site - and without making aspersions upon his integrity I do find that a number of scientists in the field that are prepared to accept such magic are also religious. As a result they may, in fact, be predisposed to the argument that "God did it."

My own view is that these appeals to magic as the product of intellectual laziness. :-)

You are of course entitled to your own views, but I feel you are being a bit harsh on scientists/ philosophers who might happen to hold personal religious beliefs in your comments, especially when you mention people by name, as you do above.

Seems lkike a bit of a "blow beneath the belt" to me.

Both Peirce and Whitehead certainly believed that holding religious beliefs and maintaining a responsible and coherent scientific attitude were fully compatible with one another.

Now, it may not be absolutely necessary to believe in God in order to do good science or philosophy, but on the other hand, it is not absolutely necessary either to believe passionately in science in order to live our lives and do our daily work well, and treat other people with tolerance and respect.

Belief in science and religious beliefs have each their different potentials and each fulfill their own specific human/social functions - for good and for bad (remember Giordano Bruno and eugenics)

I think where serious problems often arise is when the sentiments or passions that might move people to believe in God (or not) become confused with the sentiments that might move people to believe (or not) that a consciencious pursuit of scientific practice in the course of time will provide us with the objective or "true" knowledge about the world that we desire/ need in order, not only just to survive, but also to live our lives together well...

As Peirce put it (all good) "logic is based on a social principle", since for him, any workable logic presupposes ethics, which in its own turn presupposes aesthetics.

I would consider either agnosticism or athieism to be valid metaphysical positions based on specific sentiments that may be as strongly held as those metaphysical positions based on specific sentiments that may valorise religious beliefs.

You wrote too:

Crick's "Astonishing Hypothesis" (the name of Crick's book on the subject) is emergence and identity theory - and the continuing focus of Crick's younger partner (Crick himself died recently) Christophe Koch at CalTech is neuronal according to Koch's recent book (as I recall). All theories dependent on emergence and identity are essentially appeals to magic - despite the wide popularity of the argument (including the popular appeals by Wolfram, Kurzweil et al.).

However, in the generally accepted scientific paradigm (when it works), any hypothesis ("astonishing" or not) will always come to be "read" as a very provisional assertion regarding some (presumably reasoned and argued) opinion, or set of opinions, about "the way things may well be...".

The current norms of the community of science hold that the practical consequences of any such assertions must be shown to hold consistently over time on the basis of some future systematic empirical inquiry in order to be taken seriously.

If not, the hypothesis in question is not likely to become widely accepted as potentially valid/useful by the wider community of inquiry.

Whether any given theory is "an appeal to magic" -- a term which I would provisionally take to mean "potentially appealing to the eye/sentiments/mind but also potentially deluding -- or not, it is often only time -- coupled with the degree of individual and collective interest and energy the scientific community actually turns out to devote to systematic inquiry into the problem in hand -- will show.

I always tend to hold with Peirce that we should never try to "block the way of inquiry", however wild other people's speculations may seem to be. But of course we need some kind of filters that help us sort out the chaff from the wheat.

So, in a sense, we will always have to put our trust in the wider "market of ideas" (assuming that all ideas can flow and be discussed as freely as possible), and in the informed common sense of our "peers"

Best regards

Patrick

[...]

With respect,
Steven

Jim Piat wrote:

Make of that what you will :-)

With respect,
Steven

Dear Steven,

I think Crick of DNA fame was also seeking consciousness in the microtubials. What troubles me most about the search for the neural basis of consciousness is our lack of a coherent and satisfying working definition of consciousness. I doubt we will find the neurological basis of something we can't identify in the first place. The effort begs the question. Moreover neurons may be a necessary without being a sufficient condition for consciousness.

Just one layman's opinion.

Cheers,
Jim Piat
---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--

Patrick J. Coppock
Researcher: Philosophy and Theory of Language