Joe, list,

Thank you! Those quotes are both apropos and interesting in other ways.

Excessively brief samples:

Peirce:
"The point of contact is the living mind which is affected in a similar way by
real things and by their signs. And this is the only possible point of contact."

The mind alone recognizes sign and interpretant as corresponding to the real.
Yet that mind's recognition of the signs' corresponding to the object is not
the mind's sign for the object yet is the mind's _something_ regarding the
object, something involving experience of the object. Maybe it's just that,
experience, and experience is something "outside" semiosis, technically
non-semiotic in that sense, and supporting semiosis by external pressure? (No,
I don't think that, in case anybody is wondering :-))

and Peirce:
  "1. Truth belongs to signs, particularly, and to thoughts as signs. Truth is
the agreement of a meaning with a reality.
  "2. The meaning -- to lekton -- is the respect in which signs which translate
each other are conceived to agree. It is something independent of how the thing
signified really is and depends only on what is conveyed to whoever interprets
the sign rightly. ...."

Thirdness is reference to an interpretant. The interpretant is the sign's
meaning.  The meaning is the respect in which signs which translate each other
are conceived to agree, and is independent of how the thing signified really
is.

BUT -- truth is the agreement of a meaning with a reality and _belongs to
signs_. So signs have truth, soundness, legitimacy -- and it's not an
non-semiotic issue; and it's not their meaning, value, etc., per se. It's a
further relationship of meaning, a relationship to the real.

Is truth a sign's being in 'real relation' to the object? Can an index -- when
defined as a sign defined in particular cases by a real relation with its
object -- be defined as sign defined in particular cases by its truth, its
legitimacy, its deserving of recognition as true? This does seem a consequence
of Peirce's view. I've said in other posts why I don't think that this works
for the index as usually conceived -- the index's representation of some other
object is just as mistakable as an icon's representation of another object.
Then it isn't really an index, but only a deceptive one at best, OF that
object. Likewise the icon, mistaken, isn't really an icon OF the supposed
object. But then the supposed index isn't an index, while the icon is still an
icon, at least of itself? But _the index is just as capable as the icon, just
as capable of self-reference in the absence of any other object_.  So it's
still an index even if not an index of some given mistakenly supposed object.
And the defining of the index by 'real relation' (and not by singularity and
reaction) takes us decisively beyond the notion of an _actual_ or reactive
relation and, I think, leaves us with the mathematical diagram fitting the
definition of an index -- the geometric figure, the array of algebraic
expressions and their behavior, etc., which need not look or feel like their
objects at all and indeed are constructed in order to bridge, by confirmable
agreeings, large divergences of appearance & feeling.)

* * *

I guessed almost right about "imputation" and "attribution." -- except that
"attribution" is the 'genus' whereof 'imputation' is the species.
I said that a symbol is defined by its effecting an imputation by the
interpretant. But, as seems clearer to me now, that's just a detailing of
"defined by its effect on the interpretant' unless we can substitute
"attribution" for "imputation" and still come up with a general definition of
symbols:

What kind of sign is defined as that sign whereof the given case is defined by
the _attribution_ to which it determines the interpretant?

Can a blue icon be said to be a sign which, by presentment or approximation of
a quality, determines the interpretant to attribute the quality to an object?

I think that you could say it; if so, then "symbol" is not singled out by the
phrase "defined by the attribution to which it determines the interpretant."

But if that's the case, then it would not be enough to say that the symbol is
the sign defined by its effect on the interpretant.

Instead, one would need to say that the symbol is the sign defined by its
interpretant-effect achieved without presentment or approximation of the
quality or the reaction (or the representational relation?) which it represents
the object as having. Actually, Peirce (if I recall aright) does occasionally
specify an effect on the interpretant achieved other than by reaction with or
resemblance to the object -- achieved by the interpretive habit "itself" rather
than involving an interpretive habit arising in accordance with a reaction or a
resemblance.

I guess the thing is, that, once reaction or resemblance are involved, it's no
longer necessary to go on mentioning the effect on the interpretant, in order
to define the particular given sign. The blue icon is defined by its
resemblance to things blue. As a sign, its reference to an interpretant already
implies that its iconization of things blue means that it determines the
interpretant to an attribution of blueness to something -- but there one
doesn't add to the particular sign's definition by mentioning the effect on the
interpretant.

icon - reference to a ground (other than by reaction with the quale or by
symbolizing the quale, the quality, or the ground).
|> symbol - reference to an interpretant (other than by meaningful reaction or
resemblance to an object)
index - reference to an object (other than by resembling or symbolizing it).

Best, Ben