Joe,

Thank you for offering Schneider's paper to my attention. I haven't read it,
but I've read about it in "Why Triadic" http://www.paulburgess.org/triadic.html
by Paul Burgess. Satisfaction through "scratching an itch" apart from any
summum bonum doesn't seem like verification to me, though Schneider's
conception does seem to involve instantiation. But the most general and basic
relationship of truth/validity/legitimacy etc. to the good seems to be that
when one seems to achieve an end, one often needs to check, often by side
effects, after-effects, stabilized and legacy conditions, etc., that one has in
fact achieved it and that it really is good, etc.

Burgess writes:
66~~~~~~
A more detailed proposal for Fourthness comes from Herbert Schneider. Schneider
concedes three categories to be adequate for dealing with cognitive processes,
but argues for "importance" as a category of Fourthness. He notes that, for
Peirce, any purpose or good has meaning only in relation to a completely
general _summum bonum_. "No Kantian idealist could have stated this conception
of moral science more formally."

Schneider observes this scheme does not accommodate norms which might apply
"even in the absence of a _summum bonum_," itches that call to be scratched for
their own sake. Such norms he proposes as a phenomenological aspect of
Fourthness: logical import is Thirdness, vital importance Fourthness.
Satisfaction may comprise either the Thirdness of achievement or the Fourthness
of satiety or contentment. The moral self-control of Thirdness in pursuit of an
abstract _summum bonum_ is only an abstract "intellectual framework" until it
is taken up into the "concrete universal" of the moral self-criticism of
Fourthness. Fourthness supplies what depth psychology, but not the Kantian
"moral law within," acknowledges.

In logical terms, Fourthness would constitute a temporal sequence, though one
which is an absolutely discontinuous string of points superimposed on the
triadic continuum. Triadic semiosis is "prospective and cumulative"; tetradic
semiosis adds a fourth factor which is non-cumulative, but "retrospective"
along the hierarchy of categories, giving "meaningful individuality" to
instances of Firstness. Since Firstness and Secondness "look 'forward'" to
Thirdness while Fourthness "looks back" to Firstness, Thirdness in a sense
"governs" Fourthness while Fourthness provides the steam to "drive" Thirdness.
~~~~~~99

After I read Burgess's accounts of various attempts at fourthness, I felt
unmotivated to read the original papers. None of the attempts reminded me of my
own, and all of the attempts seemed motivated by certain internal Peircean
issues, and not by a broader "fourfold" vision. (It's natural for me to look at
it that way, since I was a four-ist well before I read Peirce). Peirce himself,
on the other hand, put forth broad and bold inductively expanded threefold
themes reaching across and not only _over_, but deeply _through_, philosophy,
research, and experience.

My 'fourthness' corresponds to form as structure, a balancement and stability
of forces. It's more spatial than temporal, at least on some elementary level,
though, on the other hand, its continual renovation and occasional redesign is
evolution. In terms of mechanics, you could think of it as distance untraveled
by the system due to potential and/or actual motion being balanced, "tied up,"
(statically or kinetically) within the system.

I don't know whether Kant talks about a _summum verum_ but that, or something
like it, would seem to be the verificational counterpart to a _summum bonum_.
Where the Scholastics spoke of "one, true, good" I would put (along with the
revision of the causal principles which was my first fourfold, long ago):

1. agent, strong ~ ~ ~ ~ 3. act, good
2. bearer, apt ~ ~ ~ ~ ~4. borne, true

which I would relate, for instance, to:

1. will, character, ethics ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 3. affectivity, sensibility,
"aesthematics"
2. ability, competence, "hicanotetics" ~ 4. cognition, intelligence, logic

This is one of the structures that gives me hope of adding two more orders to
the "order of being" (appeal to explanatory principles), and the "order of
knowledge" (appeal to knowledge principles). In the order of "what's
important," what one cares about, etc., life and ends come first. In terms of
the above, "3." would come first. So of course I'm sympathetic to Gary
Richmond's vectors. They're what I would be doing if I were a triadist, even if
there weren't a thorny occasioning issue such as that of the difference between
the order of semiotic determination and the order of the categories. Now, since
the permutations represented by Klein four-group have looked "right" to me (I
spelt them out before learning that they made a "group"), I'd expect an "order
of importance" of 3, 4, 1, 2. But I don't see a clear reason in terms of the
contents of the above examples to order them in that sequence when 3 comes
first. Yet, if I pull this off, then any sufficiently major division of
research will be able to be at least roughly considered as "foundational" for
the rest; it will be a matter of specifying the sense of foundationality and
the _kind_ of principles which it makes available to the rest.

Likewise I'm kind of dithering about discreteness, continuity, infinity, etc.
The discrete finite character of definite instantiation doesn't prevent a
general logic from holding. The corresponding character of an actualization (as
culmination, not as establishment or settlement into an entelechy) seems not
continuity but perhaps discrete infinity, as the interpretant selects, so to
speak, from a continuous universe represented, "measured," by the sign, and
(the interpretant) narrows that universe down to a range of conceivable
experiences. This also doesn't prevent there being a quite general good, a
highest good, etc., as far as I know, even if it's never achieved in any finite
amount of time. But I'm dithering about continuity, partly because of the odd
historical fact that the field of study of continuous local groups (local Lie
groups) has been quiet for quite a long time, or so I've read; are they not
really important? Yet each such group amounts to a continuous function of a
finite number of variables -- this includes the functions about which one
learns in high school calculus. A mathematician told me a few years ago that
algebra was busily encroaching on analysis and maybe he was talking about new
activity in local Lie groups, but I don't know. Ideas about continuity get
complicated and I'm not sure that what seem parallel distinctions are really
equatable. I'm trying to think of (1) a kind of "local" continuity, or metric
continuity, etc. which I think of as the durable and rhythmic bearer's
continuity, and (2) a "global" continuity, non-metric continuity, which I think
of as the continuity of potency and agency. In the latter I would put all
"higher" continuities (hyperreals, surreals, etc.). The two divisions would
correspond roughly to (1) the kind of continuity which Peirce regarded as being
farthest from true continuity and (2) kinds of continuity with at least some of
the topological relevance which Peirce thought was to be reached via absolute
continuity "beyond all multitudes" and beyond all Cantor's alephs. (All this is
notwithstanding newly achieved conceptions of continuity based on category
theory, about which I know even less than I know about "traditional"
continuity).

INCIDENTALLY, I just noticed that Burgess in "Why Triadic?" says something
relevant to the left-right issue and triadicity.

66~~~~~
On the phenomenological front, I note that mathematicians define the
"orientation" or handedness of a space by dyadic and triadic arguments alone.
The proof is rather technical, but it enables one to speak of left- or
right-handedness in space (of three dimensions, or even more) without resort to
any tetradic combinations and without any prior invocation of right or left.(36)

(36) The argument requires in rigorous form some knowledge of vector spaces,
mathematical induction, and finite group theory. But the basic argument runs as
follows. On a line, we can arbitrarily select one of the two possible
directions and call it "positive"; the other, "negative." We can then extend
this definition one dimension at a time by selecting one of the two directions
along the nth coordinate axis as "positive" and joining it to the "positive" (n
-1)-dimensional structure already established.
~~~~~99

Best, Ben