On Wed, 16 May 2001 20:01:05 -0700, Jim Devine wrote:
>David Ruppe (ABCNEWS.com) wrote:
>>The plans were developed as ways to trick the American public
>>and the international community into supporting a war to oust
>>Cuba's then new leader, communist Fidel Castro.
>>America's top military brass even contemplated causing U.S.
>>military casualties, writing: "We could blow up a U.S. ship in
>>Guantanamo Bay and blame Cuba," and, "casualty lists in U.S.
>>newspapers would cause a helpful wave of national indignation."
>
>hey, didn't the US do that before? Remember the Maine!

I was just looking at the actual document on this "Operation:
Mongoose," the American military plan, never implemented, to create a
"pretext" for a military assault on Cuba back in 1962. They use the
word "pretext" with no ironical detachment. Furthermore, part of the
actual memo is a list of "pretexts," with one sub-part that begins, in
their language:

"A "Remember the Maine" incident could be arranged in several
forms....."

http://cryptome.org/jcs-corrupt.htm

Andrew Hagen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]