The most likely result will be heightened acrimony, especially in the
Senate. The Republicans are all blaming Jeffords for going behind their
backs. Many are calling Jeffords a "traitor," which is incorrect since
he hasn't betrayed his country. Far from being a traitor, he has
remained true to his own values.

Republicans aren't going public yet with any sentiment about changing
the rightward shift in the party. There might be trouble for Trent
Lott, though. Just two calendar years ago, the Republicans enjoyed a
large majority. Soon they'll become the minority. If they don't pick a
new leader, it will be a sign that extremists still control the reigns
of power in the party.

On the other hand, Republican Senators might blame Dick Cheney for
their woes. The story would be that he treated Jeffords shabbily. He
has been trying to run the Senate, foreign policy, defense policy,
energy policy, and economic policy all by himself. A man with four
heart attacks just can't do all that at once. There will be a power
vacuum in the Bush Administration as Cheney's influence wanes.

It looks like the tax cut will be passed. Then, the fiscal conservative
democrats will take over. Sen. Kent Conrad is slated to become chairman
of the Senate Finance Committee. The reckless spending proposed by Bush
will be re-thought. National Missle Defense and the Bush energy subsidy
policy are dead. There is more of a chance now to defeat the FTAA
proposal. The Bush Administration is slowly spiraling out of control.

I think we are in for a wild ride. We always knew that Cheney could
step down as Vice President at some point due to health. The Jeffords
move heralds a number of other unpredictable developments.

Right about now would be an ideal time to start a new broad-based
party.

Andrew Hagen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]