Real rates, after making the appropriate Keynesian observation that they
are not an observable phenomenon, were indeed negative in the 1970s, which
is why the rentier class insisted on Volcker's takeover of the Fed, etc.
In the late 1970s, long-term bonds, those of us over 40 may remember, were
nicknamed Certificates of Confiscation.

Doug

Doug Henwood [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Left Business Observer