I may be a bit rusty on this, but I thought loanable funds theory referred
to the supply and demand for loan capital, not savings and investment. To
cover my butt in my original posting I deliberately said LF or liquidity
so as not to take a side on that hoary controversy. I also used the term
"rentiers" rather loosely (but contemptuously) to refer to a class of
people who hold or manage capital in money form. They are not the passive
coupon clippers of old, but extremely active & hard working (if
unproductive) folks like pension fund managers and insurance company
executives. The degree to which they serve industrial capital is highly
debatable, given that industrial capital is overwhelmingly self-financing,
especially the larger units, and the (post-)modern rentiers only care
about increasing their money returns. How much of the $1 trillion a day
that passes through the CHIPS wire becomes capital in Marx's sense, that
of engaging living labor?

Doug

Doug Henwood [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Left Business Observer