Hey, comrades...

Since SA has been the subject of some PEN-L debate (and since
I've just returned from five years there, and am not adjusting
well to the new political climate!), here's a report from the SA
version of AP news wire that may or may not boost your spirits,
depending on your expectations and credulity...      Patrick Bond

JOHANNESBURG Nov 22 Sapa

Answering audience questions following an address by President
Nelson Mandela at a business breakfast on Tuesday, ANC Trade and
Industry Minister Trevor Manuel said the government considered
both policies -- nationalisation and privatisation -- as useful
strategies for change.

"We need to strip each one of its ideological baggage and try to
actually understand what they are," he said.

Manuel's remarks followed an earlier remark at the breakfast by
President Mandela which raised a few corporate eyebrows.

Mandela said the goverment had not abandoned nationalisation, but
had merely "shifted their strategy" in order to appease the
business community.

"We still believe that this (nationalisation) is the correct
strategy, but in the interests of gaining the confidence of
business, we had to shift our strategy," Mandela said.

Mandela's remark prompted questions from the audience, asking
whether the government would consider re-introducing a
nationalisation focus if current efforts failed to produce
sustained econmic growth.

Manuel said the government would consider whatever options were
most likely to create growth.

Although certain State assets would benefit from privatisation,
others remained a necessary part of serving the populace.

"There are particular kinds of utilities that need to provide a
service to those who have been disadvantaged," he said.

Manuel said the government was unlikely to adopt a "big bang"
approach when scrapping the dual exchange financial rand
mechanism.

"A fair amount of analysis is being done."

"What happens to exchange control in future and how it is handled
is a matter which should be referred to the Governor of the
Reserve Bank," Manuel said.