Going beyond quibbles about the exact meaning of the word "crisis,"
I like Doug's treatment of the 1950s and 1960s as an unusual period.
I think that if we treated that period as the EXCEPTION rather
than as the RULE, it would lead to clearer thinking.  Among other
things, old Karlos' ability to predict the future looks better
in this light.

Of course, he predicted the growth of mass democratic movements
of the working class and other dominated groups, increasingly
able to overthrow capitalism and replace it with something better.
That prediction didn't work out so well.  At least not recently
(despite optimistic notes in Brazil and Chiapas).

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   BITNET: jndf@lmuacad    INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ., Los Angeles, CA 90045-2699 USA
310/338-2948 (off); 310/202-6546 (hm); FAX: 310/338-1950