Forwarded message:
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 10:49:15 -0800
From: La Mujer Obrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re:  Your letter

       URGENT LETTER

            FROM

NATIONAL COMMISSION FOR DEMOCRACY

          IN MEXICO, USA

601 N. Cotton Street, #A103

El Paso, Texas 79902

January 4, 1995

Dear Friends,

     For the past five months the Commission

has worked to establish its mission.  Its

tasks and functions have evolved. Local groups

and individuals have affiliated.  The

Commission now has a presence in almost every

region in the country as well as contacts in

Canada and extensive relationships in Mexico.

Apart from carrying out public education, the

Commission has also worked with local media.

Local committees have carried out a good bit

of fundraising, most of which has gone

directly to support the people of Chiapas. The

last intense effort was the organization and

completion of a humanitarian aid caravan which

in the period of one month managed to generate

three tons of food, medicine and clothing and

was enormously helpful to the people in

Chiapas as they faced the militarization in

December.

     The essence of the work of the Commission

is to struggle for peace and democracy; to

give people in the United States an

independent peaceful option for information

and coordinated action. It is symbolic of the

EZLN's acknowledgement of the importance of

international involvement and of peaceful

civic action. Like the Democratic National

Convention in Mexico, the existence of the

Commission embodies the hope of the EZLN that

peaceful civic action, in the United States,

can deter and re-shape the intervention of the

United States in the affairs of Mexico.

     What kind of intervention you say?  How

about the latest news about the $9 billion the

USA will pledge to Mexico in order to salvage

its floundering peso? How about the $6 billion

floated in 1988 to help the PRI overcome its

fraudulent election, again in March of 94 to

survive the shock of the assassination of

Colosio, and the $214 million in military

sales from 1988-1994?  In the name of its

investments, the US inadvertently continues to

support the PRI, a corrupt dictatorship which

has controlled the fate of Mexico for the past

65 years.  This blind support denies the

Mexican people the opportunity to define their

own destiny.

     In July of 1994 when I was named by

Subcomandante Insurgente Marcos to organize

for the EZLN, he pointed out to me "..if the

people are interested in the success of

genuine democracy in Mexico and find your work

useful they will support you." Instead of

commissioning a high-powered lobbyist or a

public relations firm, the EZLN chose to

commission a group of grassroots people with a

great deal of hope, energy and commitment.

     Not enough to counter the power of $9

billion you say?  We believe it is the

strongest and the only foundation for building

an alternative vision.  We believe an

alternative vision must be built from the

ideas and actions of the people who are being

victimized by economic policies which place

profits over human beings.  We believe that

honest people of many backgrounds and in many

countries are starving for an ounce

of integrity, hope, and truth.  It is for that

reason that the EZLN has survived in Mexico

and captured the imagination of those of us in

the international community.  We believe that

the past years of "economic re-structuring"

have been devastating to the world's peoples

and natural resources, and that now is the

time to begin to seek out an alternative.

     We believe that the narrow and

belligerent ideology of the World Bank, the

IMF, and the handful of billionaires in the

world is beginning to run its course.  We

think that those of us with sufficient vision

to believe that human beings are capable of a

better world, must be about our business of

creating, in the words of the EZLN, a new

political morale and new political

relationships.

     In the five months of its existence the

Commission has had a consistent presence in

the National Democratic Convention, has made

public presentations in California, New York,

and Montana, has issued three urgent action

alerts, and has begun to open public relations

with the United Nations, the Carter Center,

and Reverend Jesse Jackson and his Rainbow

Coalition.

     The organizing has not been difficult.

With the enthusiasm and sacrifice of hundreds

of volunteers all over the country the

Commission has managed to cast a far-flung net

of information and engagement. The financing

as always, is another matter. We have many

plans and needs for the New Year.  We would

like our newsletter to be much more frequent

and well-presented.  We would like to have a

greater presence in the media, and make many

more public presentations. We would like to

establish a stronger distribution system for

the videos, books, and other educational

materials from Mexico.  We would like to

organize a translating and public information

team which can get more comprehensive

information to you. We would like to work

closer with local committees and have a better

staff capacity.

     In order to grow in strength and

sophistication we need your support.  Please

send donations of any size possible.  The need

to quickly build a national network and

establish a public profile has far outstripped

our resources.  Unless we receive help from

you we will be forced to close our office in

February of 1995.  Contributions to the

Commission are tax-deductible. Help us to

prepare to grow to meet the challenges of the

New Year.  1995 will be an extraordinarily

difficult year for the people of Mexico.

Wishing you the best I remain,

Sincerely yours,

Cecilia Rodriguez

Representative

National Commission for Democracy in Mexico,