I'm totally blown away by Justin's long critique of what I said
about positivism and will have to digest it more. But I want to
make one comment with regard to the following:

Justin says:
"Also, we can cite Kuhn and Lakatos
against Popper. There is a function for dogma on science."

One of the points I came upon in my reading is that there
is _more than one_ Popper. There's the naive falsificationist
-- against whom Kuhn and Lakatos have a lot to say -- but there's
also the "critical rationalist." (See Caldwell, Bruce J. 1991.
Clarifying Popper. The Journal of Economic Literature and
also Homa Katouzian, IDEOLOGY AND METHOD IN ECONOMICS (NYU Press,
1980.)

Critical rationalism -- which should not be identified with
Popper's whole work -- would say "There is a function for
dogma in science -- but we should be clear what is dogma
and what is not."  For example, we should be clear that the
utility maximization assumption is part of the dogma of
neoclassical economics.  That dogma may be necessary, but
that's another question.

BTW, Katouzian, who seems sympathetic to Marx, argues that
Popper misinterpreted Marx, making a lot of points against
the misinterpretation rather than Marx himself.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ., Los Angeles, CA 90045-2699 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti."
(Go your own way and let people talk.) -- K. Marx, paraphrasing
Dante.