The essential issue, I believe, is whether or not particular social
institutions promote socially productive or socially unproductive
behavior. [I'm sure we could argue for a while about how to define
what is socially productive and unproductive, but let's assume we
could agree on that for the moment.] Well, how does an institution
promote one kind of behavior rather than another? For the most part,
or if you wish to be more cautious in statements, certainly to some
extent, institutions promote one kind of behavior rather than another
by making one kind of behavior individually rational, IR as you say,
and other kinds of behavior individually irrational. People do NOT
always have to behave in IR ways in order for this phenomenon to
occur. And people are always "free" to choose to behave in ways that
are NOT IR for various reasons -- one of which might be moral or pol-
itical committments. As one who as frequently chosen individually
irrational courses of action -- as I'm sure you are too -- I know that
the pressure from social institutions does not always succeed in getting
me to behave in a particular way. But, that does not obviate the fact
the social institution promoted, or pressured me and others, to behave
in a particular kind of way, and forced me to behave in a way that in
some meaningful sense was counter to my own self-interests as I see
them.

It is in this sense that I think progressive critics of capitalism
can argue that markets and private enterprise promote socially unpro-
ductive behavior. And I don't see how that conclusion is contradicted
by the fact that many people -- perhaps all people -- to some extent
resist the pressure to behave in the ways markets promote, and even
that the very viability of market systems hinges on people NOT always
behaving in the ways that markets push them.