> I could not let Bill's comments (below)  pass without comment.

Your comment is at least as distorted as the original. I would say
the original expresses the attitudes of many young Maori.

> The Waitangi day celebrations that were disrupted, were the
> celebrations by Maori. The Prime Minister and Govoner General were
> invited guests.

No - it is a government sponsored celebration which the local tribe
is asked to host. It is organised by the Department of Internal
Affairs. There has been a long history of protest by large numbers of
Maori about these 'celebrations' being held when there are many
outstanding grievances about how Maori rights under the treaty have
been abrogated.

>The protesters then, as with more recent protests, were
> representaives of a particular tribe.

No - protestors came from many tribes. Many pakehas (whites) were
present too.

> They do not like the way their own elders,
> from different Maiori tribes, have negotiated, a proposal for 1 billion dollars
> toward settling Maiori claims.

No - this was a government proposal to try to limit the financial
impact of *Maori*  land claims. It wasrejected  unanimously  at 13 of
14 hui's (meetings) of Maori tribes around the country - including
elders and young people. Only a  small number of elders support the concept
that cash in the hand is worth more than the promise of grievances
being settled.

They, the Maiori activists, have come under
> criticism from Maiori groups for their behaviour. It is felt that it has set
> back the Maiori cause by alienating many other non Maiori.

This was the not unanimous view of the elders from the tribe hosting
the celebration. It was widely publicisied by the media, while other
more supportive comments received less publicity.

No - there is a lot of frustration being expressed by Maori right
through the country. There are currently 14 land occupations by Maori
groups. There is also some ugly racism and threats of violence from
whites, such as at Wanganui.

Bruce Cronin