Bill, you are completely right.  The rusty cold warriors in the Pentagon
have been lobbying hard for loopholes in any test ban treaty
negotiated to exclude "low-yield" tests which are difficult to verify and
laboratory testing with computer simulations.  Even as the
Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty negotiations have been going on, the US is
still budgeting for the billion-dollar National Ignition Facility, a huge
laser project at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory which will allow for the
design of
new classes of warheads. (Expanding US nuclear capabilities is sold to
Congress as "stockpile stewardship"... who can vote against being a good
steward of our nuclear stockpile?)  For the US to condemn the
French for wanting to conduct eight tests over the next year would be
the pot calling the kettle black.

The Greenpeace ship, Rainbow Warrior (II) was in Auckland this week for a
commemoration of the tenth anniversary of the bombing of the original
vessel by French secret agents.  Like its namesake was ten years ago, the
ship has been dispatched to Moruroa to protest the testing.

The International Peace Bureau has called for a boycott of French goods
and services.

If anyone would like press releases or more information, just email me.

Gina Neff
Economists Allied for Arms Reduction
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
212-768-2080