At 3:17 PM 6/14/95, James Devine wrote:

>Is it correct to date the transition to banker power the fall of
>the Bretton Woods fixed-exchange rate system? I would guess that
>the rise of the US budget deficit (which also gives the central
>banks and money-lenders more power) was a later intensification
>of what has been happening since the early 1970s. (You also get a
>different story if you look at the underdeveloped nations: there,
>the early 1980s debt crisis is the turning point.)

Bill Wolman, the chief economist of both Business Weak and CNBC, says
frequently on the latter that we live in a world of weak governments and
strong central banks. I think he's right (even though he was the guy
responsible for BW's infamous "Death of Equities" cover around 1979, just
before the great bull market of Aug 1982-? took off). We even have central
bankers taking over governments, as in Italy.

I think it took a while for the CBers to get their act together, however.
The period from the beginning of the end of Bretton Woods to the ascendancy
of Volcker was a time of great monetary instability. But starting with
Volcker in late 1979, the CBers finally mastered the art of running a
politically managed monetary system on a basis more flexible than gold in a
crisis - witness how deftly they've handled the S&L crisis, the 1987 stock
market crash, the Mexican melodramas of 1982 and 1994, and probably many
other near-meltdowns we don't even know about - but in non-crisis times,
about as austere as gold.

By the way, as Penny Ciancanelli put it, rather nicely I think, the Third
World got a Fisher-style deflation, while the First World gets Minsky
management.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood