Worse, the real estate/Wall Street elite consciously and deliberately
drove the port of New York over to New Jersey, to free up the West Side of
Manahattan for real estate development. This massively increased the cost
of doing business for small manufacturers - and also greatly increased
truck traffic across the Geo Washington Bridge, fouling the air, and
wrecking the pavement. Everything that comes into NYC has to come by
truck (and into Long Island as well), since we have no freight rail or
waterway connection to the mainland.

Treacy: The last time I looked, the Bronx was still on the mainland. The trouble
        is that rail connections to Manhattan and the Island come from the
        North and not the West. The last time  I was on the Tribouro Bridge, I
        saw a large freight train barreling along over Hell Gate. The
        resistence of the Longshoremen's Union to containerization did not
        help the port either. [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The NYC unemployment rate only begins to tell the story. Our labor force
participation rate is about 10 points below the national average (or was,
last time I checked). If you're not in the LF, of course, you're not
unemployed.

Doug

Doug Henwood [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Left Business Observer