At 9:33 AM 1/25/96, Michael Perelman wrote:

>Doug brought up the fact that womens' wages have been rising.  I think
>that some complex compositional factors effects are going on.  In particular,
>how much of it involves relatively high wage professional women coming in as
>a second wage earner?  What would womens' wages be if the composition of
>the job structure had not changed over the last decade?

This is certainly the case; women's wages as a percentage of men's in the
same educational/occupational grouping shows nowhere near the kind of
catch-up we've seen in the aggregate figures. Still, women's entry into
previously all-male professions isn't an insignificant social development.
And I brought up the point only to dissent from the view that the
restructuring of the labor force has been/will be particularly hard on
women.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood