Eric gives me the chance to ride this hobby horse again.  I think I
agree that structure and agency is an unproductive duality but
because it poses the wrong question.  The discussion so far assumes
that agency belongs to individuals and the question becomes what is
the relationship of the individuals to the structure.  A deeper
question is who are the agents in the social model.
Institutionalists see no conflict between agency and structure
precisely because it is the institutions who are the agents of
activity in institutionalist theory.  In Marxism the agents are the
classes.  It is only in neoclassical theory that the agents are
individuals and the question is posed in its current form.

 It is only in the context of particular institutions that the question of
individual agency even poses itself and only in a subset of these
institutions would it be given the dialectical equality that Eric (and
Giddens) gives it with social structure.  It seems to me that the
institutionalist position that the vast majority of what any of us
does is institutionally determined is quite evident and is only
obscured by the common sense of the age that the individual is the
basic unit of society.  Would anyone seriously attempt an individual
choice theoretic (even path dependent) explanation of why we are
communicating in English on this list?

Admittedly, the institutionalist position that it is institutions
which drive institutional change is not particularly intuitive, but
it is not an impossible argument.  In any case, Marxism doesn't have
this problem because it is class struggle which drives institutional
change.  The fact that it is class struggle which constitutes classes
as E.P. Thompson points out is only a challenge to concrete
historical explanation.  Such circularity is in any case inherent in
any attempt to explain the dynamics of history from within history
and introducing individual agency cannot escape this problem unless
the individuals are somehow pregiven outside of history.

The question is not one of whether individual agency causes some
aspect of history.   It clearly does (as in Eric's Bill Gates example
or the favorite one about Hitler).   But then again so does
geography, weather, disease, anatomy, etc.  The question cannot be
whether we can locate a causality for the individual in history.  The
question is whether individual actions and decision are responsible
or partly responsible for the basic dynamic movements of history.
Only in this case can they be considered determinative and elevated
into the kind of explanatory dialectic with structure which Eric is
(perhaps tentatively) claiming for them.  Otherwise they remain
contingent causes of history, in much the same way as an earthquake
might be, and therefor outside the realm of investigation by the
science of history.  Like earthquakes they may be explained through
the application of other sciences.

Terry McDonough