Just some more reference re sprawl for Eban and others; apologies
for any repeats.

1)James Howard Kunstler, <The Geography of Nowhere>, 1993
2)(author's name I'm blocking!) <Crabgrass Frontier>, 1985
3)The Third Regional Plan for New York, just out from the Regional Plan
Association in NYC, is a call for massive investments in mass transit,
etc. Probably of interest.
4)There is a growing literature from feminist-minded writers addressing
the relationship between built environment and the reinforcement of
gender norms. Leslie Wiesman's <Discrimination by Design> and several
things written by Dolores Hayden are good places to start but there's
much more than that too. I like the argument in that it implies to
achieve a built environment not inherently presupposed on the notion
that one person goes to work and the other stays home would require a
democratic planning capacity at the local level, and hence probably
also community ownership of city land.

I'd be interested in any luck you may have Eban in estimating costs.
We've been trying for some time to devise a way to estimate the costs
of "thrown-away cities" (i.e. Akron decays, the infrastructure built up
over decades rots, people move, and in the meantime say Tuscon is
rapidly growing and requires major new infrastructural investments to
accomodate the migrants who are following the jobs) with not a great
deal of success.

cheers,

Thad Williamson
National Center for Economic and Security Alternatives/
Institute for Policy Studies
Washington, DC