Mike M. is right to single out the following passage as a
particularly egregious attempt on the part of a right-wing textbook
writer to misrepresent reality.

> However, I came accross this particularly ridiculous statement in one of the
> chapters I'm reading:  "The median income of all individual stockholders is
> not dramatically higher than the median income of all American families."

This statement is simultaneously breathtaking in its irrelevance and
yet unavoidably suggestive of significantly misleading conclusions.
First, the irrelevance:  a lot of people own a little bit of stock,
especially if the above sentence allows inclusion of ESOP programs,
mutual funds, or holdings through pension funds.  But so what?  This
statement doesn't have any implications whatsoever for the
distribution of wealth or income.  The irrelevance of the statement
is compounded by the vague qualifier "not dramatically higher".
Relative to what?

Now, as to the suggestiveness: since the statement, taken by itself,
implies nothing of significance, people are likely to read more into
it, just in giving the author the benefit of the doubt that he is not
mouthing irrelevancies.  Perhaps it suggests that the distribution of
stocks or the income therefrom is not that skewed?

But any such suggestion is horsecrap.  The richest 1% of families in
the US holds 49% (!) of all publicly held stock; the richest 10% hold
85% of all stocks. And in 1992 only 14% of individuals over 15
received dividends.  [Data are from the CPE's New Field Guide to the
US Economy].  Paints a little different picture, no?

Gil