This is the classic problem of universalism vs. targeting efficiency, but I'm
not sure I come down on the same side you do. On the universalistic side,
money for the poor requires, as a kind of informal political blackmail, money
for the rich (or at least the more affluent). Targeting focuses the benefits,
but risks the stigma of welfare and has all the other problems that you and
Nathan have been debating. Under ideal circumstances, I would prefer
universalistic benefits that are taxed differentially, because I think they
encourage the formation of more durable political coalitions. What's not clear
to me is whether you are defending targeting as a political necessity in these
politically constrained times, or as something you would choose even in the
face of more robust options. The former I can  understand;  the latter, I have
more trouble with.

Joel Blau