It should be pointed out that we get into these problems of high marginal tax
rates and rapid phase-outs because unlike every other country, we try to support
families indirectly through the tax code rather than directly through universal
family/children allowances. If we are going to spend $85 billion, I'd much
rather spend it that way.

Joel Blau