Nathan Newman wrote:

> Michael, I think you and Louis have the politics of this one exactly
> backwards.  Preserving the earnings test is not just about redistribution,
> it's about maintaining Social Security as a pension system, not an
> investment vehicle.

The problem is that the logic of the earnings test can be pushed further.  Once
the majority of people no longer benefit from the program and it becomes method
for helping the poor, it becomes a welfare program and looses all support.

I sympathize with much of the rest that you wrote, except for your defense of
the Democrats.  I will not go into that space because we have already rehashed
much of that discussion.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department