Ken,

Everything LM has said on all these points are variations of what many
rightwings have said.  A few mildly progressive iconoclastic statements does
not make up for a general support for righting neoliberalism.

On higher education, the article is not about money reform (although it's
mentioned, much as the Right in the US complains "lowered standards" in the
US due to racial inclusion have undermined it), but on how education has
been corrupted by those seeking economic advancement, not knowledge. It's a
variation on the rightwing academic bashing in the US.

And don't even try to defend LM on environmentalism-- they have slews of
articles attacking the Greens and every other pro-environment group as
enemies of progress.  It is their views, not those they criticize, that are
antiscientific and ideological.  THeir obsession with "progress" is
explicitly of the classical sort, where they bemoan every environmental
critique ad nauseum.

As for domestic violence, their position is just itself vile, playing a
numbers game to downplay its importance.  This is where they jump in bed
almost literally with Camille Paglia and her feminist bashing.

Hey, I love iconoclasm as much as the next person; but don't call it
progressive or anti-imperialist.  Just call it the marketing opportunity it
is.

-- Nathan Newman