On the issue of school control, favour a system which has central standards and
guidelines that have to be met by all schools. Certain material that has to be
mastered. Certain  principles (such as open access, equality of opportunity,
additional attention to those that need it), etc. But would be managed and run by
local parents, teachers, (again on predetermined democratic principles, with the
ability to appeal local decisions.) This may be a balance that is impossible to
obtain but is a worthy goal.

At present in Ontario there is a move by the conservative government to centralize
control and to homogenize standards and curriculum, while increasing the work load
for teachers.

Rod

--
Rod Hay