Hi Ellen,

It's me that's dense for not being clear that I'm not defending Operation
Twist.  I'm just saying that it provides the best historical precedent for
current monetary policy.

That there is no market for loanable funds does not fly in the face of the
evidence, just in the face of the hundreds of mainstream monetary
economists who have mined data and shaped our understanding of monetary
policy.

Paul, unless people like Eatwell, Milgate, Garegnani or, generally
speaking, the Italian Marxist school of monetary economics are completely
off the wall, loanable funds theory is logically inconsistent.  Someone
issuing corporate bonds or taking out C & I loans can be understood in
terms of their theories as well as in terms of loanable funds theory.

Ellen, I take your point about large established firms not being credit
constrained while smaller firms are as evidence that you agree with the
idea of financial-market segmentation.  Perhaps you could recommend some
readings for Paul?

The implications of the interest-rate insensitivity of investments in
capital-goods industries for mainstream monetary theory is too easily
glossed over by pointing out that household purchases of consumer durables
are interest-rate sensitive.  I should think that only a monetarist would
find household expenditures on consumer durables equivalent with corporate
investments in plant and equipment.  Once the issue becomes sucking up
household income with higher finance charges for consumer durables rather
than increasing the cost of investments in plant and equipment, why not use
a theory that emphasizes the effect of monetary policy on income
distribution rather than a theory that emphasizes the effect of monetary
policy on an aggregate demand function?  For example, if the wage includes
a moral and historical element, then higher finance charges for consumer
durables reduces it in a way that it is difficult for the working class to
organize against and resist.  Higher interest rates thus lead directly to a
higher general rate of profits.

Investment committees at large firms listen to staff reports that discount
expected profits by hurdle rates.  But the effect of Keynes' "animal
spirits," irrational exuberance, etc., on expected profits reduces the
finely calibrated present-value calculations to absurdity.

Edwin (Tom) Dickens