Jim Devine asked the what's up question a couple of days ago.

Let me put my two cents worth in.

Things were going well for a while on pen-l.  I talked a valued colleague
into rejoining.  I am afraid that I might have to apologize to him.

I would think that our area of expertise would have something to do with
economics.  Here we are talking about Korea, in the absence of Marty, who
is our Korea expert.  In a sense, Korea is progress, since it takes us
away from a focus on U.S. affairs.  Don't we all know that Korea is a
squalid government that has made some progress under popular pressure.

Popular pressure, of course, is the key to progress.  In a sense, Clinton
-- back to the old U.S. -- has little choice to follow the Repubs. since
nobody has been effective in challenging the right wing neo-liberal line.

Here is my pen-l challenge.  Are we so marginalized that we have nothing
to offer?

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department