At 4:13 PM 9/5/96, Michael D Yates wrote:

>cheers to our comrade, doug henwood, for his fine article in the sept.
>issue of "monthly review."  not bad for the graduate of, as doug put it,
>"a piggishly union-busting university in connecticut."!!!!

Thanks.

Speaking of union-busting universities, I'd like to do a piece in LBO,
maybe several, on university-as-business: patent portfolio, endowment
capital, etc. Yale, for example, has a spectacular investment record,
outperforming all averages for the last 1, 5, 10, and 20 years. One
suspects, but can never prove, that alums throw the university sweet
private placements and choice bits of info. Its physical plant needs some
serious work, but Yale plans to pay for this by cuts in the operating
budget - which is why it wants to cut pay of dining-hall workers from
$23,000 to $10,000 - while continuing to "grow the endowment." Its
management is indistinguishable from that of a large corporation.

Any thoughts/reports anyone has along these lines - very broadly defined -
would be welcome.

And why *has* tuition gone up so much?

Doug

--