I tried to send these notes to Doug Henwood, but it bounced back.
I thought that some of you might be interested in this as well.

Schiller, Herbert I. 1995. Information Inequality: The Deepening Social
Crisis in America (NY: Routledge).
 47: According to the University of Miami's vice president for research,
"As money becomes less and less available. more people are going to be
compromising their principles, compromising their time ....  We can get
to the point at some stage in this process where we're not research
universities any longer but fee-for-service corporations -- hired guns.
 De Palma, Anthony. 1991. "Universities' Reliance on Companies Raises
Vexing Questions in Research." New York Times (17 March).
 47: Derek Bok's final "President's Report" to Harvard's Board of
Overseers, found "the commercialization of universities as (perhaps) the
most severe threat facing higher education."  "[Universities] appear
less and less as a charitable institution seeking truth and serving
students and more and more, as a huge commercial operation that differs
from corporations only because there are no shareholders and no
dividends." McMillen, Liz. 1991. "Quest for Profits May Damage Basic
Values of Universities, Harvard's Bok Warns." Chronicle of Higher
Education, Number 32 (24 April): Sec. B, p. 8.
 79: Phoenix University in San Francisco has one thousand of its
eighteen thousand students earning their degrees via computer.  The
school "has no fraternities, dormitories, or football team ....  [It]
doesn't even have a library, just a research desk with a toll-free
telephone number.  Perhaps more to the point," none of Phoenix's 2,100
instructors are tenured or full-time.  They are independent contractors
paid about $1,000 to $1,200 per course." Stecklow, Steve. 1994. "At
Phoenix University Class Can Be Anywhere -- Even in Cyberspace." Wall
Street Journal (12 September): p. 1.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department