I, like others, have long taught that one of the ceteris paribus
assumptions is that expectations remain constant. This allows for the
usual interpretation of the kind of situations Doug listed -- that
the market demand curve is sloping downward -- sigh of relief since
this means the "law of demand" remains in force -- put it is shifting
out due to a change in expectations about price.

But I have also long found this explanation too slick, rather like
sophistry, and the kind of reasoning that renders the law of demand
a tautology that is impossible to disprove. The important thing is
that there ARE many situations in which the demand for something increases
when price goes up, rather than the reverse; and the supply of something
decreases when price goes up, rather than the reverse. This is true because
in the real world a significant number of actors in many markets interpret
the information that the market price has risen as a more important indicator
of where the price is heading -- as a signal about the direction of future
prices -- than as an indication of what the price of the item is currently.

The important point is for people to understand that demand may well rise
and supply fall when price rises, and this should not be seen as practically
impossible or the result of an aberation involving some kind of irrational
behavior. For nothing is more "rational" than buying when you think the
price of an item is rising -- whether you want the item or not!

My complaint with the usual interpretation is that it makes it less likely
that people -- people like my students but also most who teach them -- will
understand this. But my quibble could be handled by emphasizing that
expectations are frequently not constant, that any price movement in any
market has an element -- its implications for the likely direction of future
price changes -- that is likely to violate the ceteris paribus assumption
of constant expectations; and therefore, that demand curves are very likely
to be shifting due to changed expectations.

But I close with an innocent question: If demand curves are wont to shift
whenever market price changes, what good is it to know that they obey the
law of demand? For that matter, what good are they period?