Michael Parelman wrote:

> >Today, United States depends on the sale of goods protected >from
> >competition by intellectual property rights.  Not surprisingly, >three of
>
> >the four richest people in this country are associated with one >of these
>
> >companies.  Intellectual property rights, however, are >monopolies that
> >violate the principles of the free market.

michael, i thought intellectual property rights were central to the
principles of the free market.  what makes capitalism capitalism is the
recognition of property rights as inalienable individual rights, the notion
of private possession, so to speak. Am i wrong?

________

Hello Mine. I think you are right. But more specifically private property rights are
central to the principles of the free market. "Intellectual property" rights are
private property in specific types of commodities such as a design for making
something ( patent), a symbol ( trademark) or intellectual product like a book (
copyright), I think.

Charles

_________

i don't see how they
constitute a monopoly in the free market or violate the principles of the
free market. well, capitalism is a monopoly regime of property owners to
begin with.  what is equally interesting is that monopoly seems to be
intrinsic to capitalism, rather than accidental.

there are capitalist regimes without intellectual property rights fully
established or somewhat established, like those economies in the periphery
or semi periphery of the world system (i.e.., Turkey). they are nonetheless
still capitalist by virtue of their integration into the world capitalist
system. The state often justifies monopolies on the grounds that they are
necessary for achieving economics of scale  in order to privilege corporate
interests, i.e, private sector monopoly or public sector monopoly.

how does this differ in the US? In addition to the "formal freedom" market,
is there a monopoly capitalism?

--

Mine Aysen Doyran
PhD Student