The proposal came from Michael Kremer.  It makes some sense, but it has
limits too.  Here is the short mention of Kremer in my book on
intellectual property, which is about 60% done.

Michael Kremer has suggested an interesting procedure to reward
   the production of intellectual property while avoiding the some of
   the distortions associated with treating intellectual property as
   a monopoly (Kremer 1998).  He proposed that patents be put up an
   auction.  The winning bidders would be allowed keep some of the
   patents, but the state would purchase the majority for the price
   of the winning bid, plus a premium.  The state would then put its
   auctions in the private domain.

Kremer's method seems superior to the situation as it exists
   today.  Some of the patents would still remain as private
   monopolies.  More important, this procedure would still privatize
   the rewards from scientific research, leading to the secrecy that
   threatens the scientific process.
[

--
Michael Perelman