>  the proposed gathering has come under fire for seeming to dismiss an
> entire body of research that says that criminal behavior has its roots in
> personality and socioeconomic background, as well as family influences.

the genetic determinists strike again! (Their genes must program them to do
so. Of course, it's always the "other" that's genetically determined.) When
are those people going to learn that all that genes determine is
_potential_, especially for complex critters like human beings? and that
the nature of "crime" itself is determined socially?

But if we can get away from genetic determinism, there doesn't seem to be
anything wrong with studying the genome.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://liberalarts.lmu.edu/~jdevine