>Term 'eurocentrism' is problematic although conception that eurocentrism
>is colonizer's model of world (as jim blaut, no postmodernist, calls it)
>seesm generally agreeable.  Term can, however, flatten complexity of
>european culture and history that includes peripheral regions, social
>classes, marginalized and stigmatized peoples.  Simplistic inversion
>positing europe as 'evil' and turning colonialist model on its head
>remains eurocentric since focus remains on Europe (and lets third
>world elites off hook).      Michael Hoover

These points are made most forcefully in Aijaz Ahmad's "In Theory", which
includes a rather bitter attack on Edward Said. I have to mention that I
just came back from the Columbia Library and was browsing through Samir
Amin's reply to "Re-Orient" that appeared in V.3 1999 of "Review",
Wallerstein's journal. I saw that he had the good sense to agree with me on
the matter of Frank falling into a cyclical view of history. Amin also
mentions that he gave the Asiatic Mode of Production a good biffing back in
1957, but still insists that Marx is essential for understanding world
history. I can't disagree.

Louis Proyect