Doug Henwood wrote:

> Rod Hay wrote:
>
> >Mat. How do you identify eurocentrism? In my experience, in most cases,
> >all it indicates is that the person throwing the epithet, doesn't like
> >what is being said but can't articulate a rational argument against it.
>
> Could you give a more specific example?

My objection to the label "eurocentrism" is not to its false application
-- all labels may be and are misused -- but to its redundancy. I claim
that there is no instance of its use in which it would not be more
accurate to speak of racism, of imperialism, or of racism & imperialism.
Redundancies of this sort merely confuse debate. And, also, it is its
redundancy which puts me in mind of much of the terminology of
(for example) Butler. One runs into the old problem of confusing
a summary or paraphrase of the facts with an explanation of those
facts.

Carrol