>1. Which study is SLATER magazine referring to? Who did the study?

SLATE magazine is Microsoft's on-line magazine of opinion, edited by
Michael Kinsley. Its line is similar to that of the NEW REPUBLIC, but more
coherent. The article is from their daily news summary.

>2. Minority people are likely to be more "arrested" because of the racist
>justice system that "racializes", so to speak, race. Race is already part
>of this racial system, so the argument that race has no importance in
>criminal issues obscures rather than challenges racism . When SLATER says
>race does not matter, but "the difference in jail time", it denies the
>ideology of racism which associates crime with race. It is more of a
>liberal trick SLATER is doing here!

the author, Scott Shuger, was simply asking questions about these issues. I
was hoping for answers to these questions rather than name-calling based on
a partial reading.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://liberalarts.lmu.edu/~jdevine