>>1. Which study is SLATER magazine referring to? Who did the study?

>SLATE magazine is Microsoft's on-line magazine of opinion, edited by
>Michael Kinsley. Its line is similar to that of the NEW REPUBLIC, but
>more
>coherent. The article is from their daily news summary.

My question was *not* about SLATE magazine. it was about the "recent
comprensive study" mentioned in Shuger's acticle. I asked what the
findings of the study was to understand SLATE's criticism. in any case,
Carrol has just clarified it.

>>2. Minority people are likely to be more "arrested" because of the
racist
>>justice system that "racializes", so to speak, race. Race is already
part
>>of this racial system, so the argument that race has no importance in
>>criminal issues obscures rather than challenges racism . When SLATER
says
>>race does not matter, but "the difference in jail time", it denies the
>>ideology of racism which associates crime with race. It is more of a
>>liberal trick SLATER is doing here!

>the author, Scott Shuger, was simply asking questions about these issues.
>was hoping for answers to these questions rather than name-calling based
>on
>a partial reading.

first, i need to read the article (which was my original question)
to understand what he was trying to say. i can not rely on a neo-liberal
magazine like SLATE without reading what is referred to. second, i don't
think i did a partial reading. I read what it was written in SLATE. if you
don't "partially" read the article, you will see that the author's
questions were still racially biased. Shuger's claim that race does
not matter, but "differences in jail time" or "clustering of groups" is a
denial of systematic racism par-exellence. Racism is the ideology of
"race does not matter" (like "class does not matter"). Shuger assumes we
are living in a racially neutral system, the system that exactly makes the
same claim as Shuger does.. i don't see a big challange to the study he is
criticizing here, but let me read the study first.

Mine