At 09:57 AM 5/8/00 -0500, you wrote:
> > > As one of the most boring books ever written, one which 99% of
> > Marxist do not have the patience or even temper to read,  should we
> > not but   sympathize with poor Darwin's rejection of this offer?

since when do we let mere boredom stand in our way? Boredom seems part of
life and work, something that everybody (except the very rich and some
dilettantes, that is) cannot avoid. Boredom seems part and parcel of
necessary labor, something that won't be abolished for a long time. Some
might say that without boredom, we couldn't appreciate non-boredom, but I
wouldn't go that far.

I don't find CAPITAL to be boring at all, especially because I read the
footnotes, where Marx lets down his hair (i.e., his scientific pretensions)
and lets his venom and wit flow. In any event, the boredom involved in
CAPITAL should be compared to the boredom of the normal academic treatise
with its excessive pedantry and caution. In terms of the benefits received
from digging through its tedium, CAPITAL wins hands down.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://liberalarts.lmu.edu/~jdevine