You are misreading the point. The point was not about Marxists' sympathy
with Darwin's rejection of the offer. Of course, it was a nice behavior
that Darwin did not want to popularize himself, so let's give credit to
him. However, this was not simply an ethical concern or political
correctness for Darwin. Regarding the letter, we are not hundred percent
sure if Marx really wanted to dedicate second volume of Capital to fellow
Darwin. Unlike Gould's story, some suggest this letter was sent under the
influence of Aveling (son in law), so it was beyond Marx's intention. Even
if we assume that Marx was sincere, Darwin rejected the offer on the
grounds that he did not want to cause a reaction or bad reputation among
religious circles/ruling classes. Darwin was just a scientist. Certainly,
he did many big things to overcome religious convictions, but he was not a
political activist as Marx was. Despite the revolutionary nature of his
theory, some of Dawrin's investigations (brain size differences between
whites and blacks, men and women), were, sincerely or insincerely,
designed to fit the ruling class ideology and colonial policies in
Britain at that time.

Actually, Hobson, in _Imperialism_ goes into details of explaining how the
evolutionary theory in Britain at the turn of the century was promoting
scientific and cultural imperialism besides economic imperialism.

Mine Doyran
Phd Student
Political Science
SUNY/Albany