It is all very well for Michael P. to ask for politeness, but there was
nothing polite about Doug Henwood's posting.  It struck me as a deliberate
effort to "tar by association," in fact to imply that THIS is the REAL
politics of those on Pen-l who find something useful in postmodern thought.
Whatever other disagreements one may have with diverse folks on this net,
I think that it is unfair to pretend that THIS is the politics being sought
by folks here.

If Doug does not agree with this assessment of what he was up to, then he
can perhaps explain more substantively the exact PURPOSE of his recent
post?  In particular, I'd like to know why exactly ALL pomos are to be held
responsible for EVERYTHING problematic about U.S. identity politics.

AND, I'd also like to know if we plan to now hang Marx and stop using ANY
Marxist theory/insights because of all the nasty things that have been done
in the name of Marxist politics (fair's fair--if ALL pomos are to be held
responsible for the type of politics described in Doug's post, then
really...).

yours,
Charu.

>While we're on the subject of identities - from another list...
>
>>THE ASSOCIATED PRESS  November 2, 1996
>>      By SCOTT LINDLAW
>>      Associated Press Writer
>>      GLENDALE, Calif. (AP) -- Elizabeth Michael's answering machine
>>announces that she's ``out trying to overthrow the government.''
>>      In fact, by running for Congress, she's trying to become part of the
>>government. But should she win her long-shot race, the House would never be
>>quite the same.
>>      Michael was born a hermaphrodite and says she had ``sexual reassignment
>>surgery'' in 1984. She is now a lesbian of black, American Indian and white
>>descent. She is a Messianic Jew, who practices Judaism but accepts Jesus
>>Christ as the Messiah.
>>      She is an entrepreneur and former accountant, hosts a political show on
>>public-access television and lists her heroes as former British Prime
>>Minister Margaret Thatcher, Theodore Roosevelt and Confederate Gen. Robert E.
>>Lee.
>>      Michael, 40, was a Republican until two years ago. She joined the
>>Libertarian Party.
>>      She preaches the staunch conservatism that sells in the foothills of
>>the San Gabriel Mountains north of Los Angeles, where the right-leaning GOP
>>Rep. Carlos J. Moorhead, sent to Washington in 1972, is retiring.
>>      Michael's top priorities are reducing the size of the federal
>>government and its budget deficit. She wants to disband the Internal Revenue
>>Service and supports Proposition 209, which would eliminate affirmative
>>action programs in government contracting and hiring and in college
>>admissions.
>>      Yet her background stands out in the suburban district, where Burbank,
>>Glendale and Pasadena don't exactly have thriving homosexual cultures.
>>      ``I tend not to be very connected to the gay community,'' said Michael,
>>born Alannia Aliza Elizabeth Michael in Philadelphia and now living in
>>Glendale. ``Most of my friends are straight. And a lot of gay people are
>>Democrats.''
>>      The focus on her sexual history is ``old hat,'' she said. ``Most people
>>know about it and care or don't care, but more people care about saving their
>>country,'' Michael said. ``They want someone who's more loyal to their
>>country than to foreign lobbyists.''
>>      She prefers to emphasize her political background: GOP candidate for
>>the state Senate in 1988, for the California Assembly in 1990 and as
>>Moorhead's challenger in 1994.
>>      Michael says she is the first ``transgendered'' person to run for
>>Congress but isn't doing it for the sake of trailblazing.
>>      ``I did it because I love the country,'' she said. ``I see my
>>involvement in politics as totally removed from whether I had a sex change,
>>whether I'm a lesbian, what my personal social life is.
>>      ``I am involved in politics because the people involved in politics now
>>are ruining the country.''
> [...]

*  S.  Charusheela              *  PH:  (O) (717)-291-3936        *
*  Economics Dept.              *       (H) (717) 390-8906        *
*  Franklin & Marshall College  *  FAX: (717) 291-4369            *
*  Lancaster PA 17604           *  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *