Dear Michael Yates,
>i read a. callari's discussion of his work with battered women with interest,
>but i must say i don't see how any person, blessed with some common sense and
>sympathy plus a radical view of the world, might not have achieved the same
>results.

My explanation of the link between that work and postmodernism is in my
response to Michael Perelman. I don't know if that convinces you, but you
honor me too much (to invest me with common sense) and pomo too little:
pomo validates a variety of strategies and sites of struggle that the
unidimensionality of traditional, modernist Marxism, does not permit. If
your own experiences have not been structured/limited by the traditional
privileging of class, all the more power to you: perhaps you have had
postmodernist instincts, or a resistance to the norrowing effects of
modernist discourse. In fact, I would expect many people, even those who
resist the theory, to have such instincts and resistances. The discourse
only liberates these instincts and validates them.

Antonio

Antonio Callari and/or Elisabeth King-Callari
939 Martha Ave
Lancaster, PA 17601

Phone 717 397-3228
FAX   717 397-1790