My comments were in no way meant to absolve men from their responsibilities
in child rearing and I did not mean to imply that single parenting is a
pancea.  My comments were in response to the wisdom of most mainstream
economists, which is that there is no rationality at all in women having
babies as teens and unwed. Given the reality that more and more men are
deserting their responsibilities for the babies they create, a young woman's
decision is not completely irrational.  Further, the decisions of teens to
have babies reflect a very different reality than that inhabited by academics
of any stripe, including myself.  maggie coleman [EMAIL PROTECTED]