Doug is correct, a large part of the increase in 'unwed' births are due to
the decreased fertility of married women.  Just to add a few more points:
1.  The largest proportion of increase in 'unwed' births is to caucasian
women.
2.  I think the decrease in births to married women is in part due to the
aging of our population -- baby boom women who married in their teens and
early twenties are now approaching menopause.  Younger women are marrying at
a lesser rate.
3.  Teen pregnancies are generally presented (by male economists) as an
almost complete negative.  Several feminist perspectives have it that women
bearing babies in their teens can actually result in an economic plus down
the line.  A woman who has finished her child bearing and the most labor
intensive years of child rearing by the time she is 19-20 (child years 1-4),
can look forward to a relatively uninterrupted 30-40 years in the job market.
 This resolves the issue faced by many professional women: continue up the
job ladder or stop to have babies.  Women who have their babies at a young
age are not subject to that 'choice' 'problem' presented by many neoclassical
economists -- i.e., they 'choose' to leave the market during some of the
years when they earn their highest income.  From this perspective, teen
pregnancies are indeed a very rational choice.  There has been some
preliminary reasearch which shows that teen mothers do not necessarily do
worse in the long run than single heads of households at any other age.
4.  Wed lock is not a weird word.  it is a word used to describe the role of
women in married -- a lock on personal freedom.
5.  Any attempt to statistically relate fertility to welfare has failed.  In
fact, the fertility rate of welfare mothers is no higher than similary
cohorts of women not on welfare.
6.  The average length of stay on welfare is less than two years -- not
enough time to have lots of babies.  In fact, not enough time to have more
than one baby.

maggie coleman [EMAIL PROTECTED]