Brad writes:
>But they're better off than they would be if they weren't exploited by
>capitalist bosses, right? Didn't Joan Robinson understand this?

Though her book with that epigram in it is in a box somewhere and I can't
verify this, Robinson was referring to the case of being employed (and
exploited) by capitalists vs. being unemployed.

The fact that being exploited is more pleasant than being unemployed is one
of the bases for capitalist exploitation of workers. People wouldn't put up
with exploitation if not threatened by competition from the reserve army of
labor (and the fear of being drafted into that army). If being unemployed
became more pleasant (or equally pleasant), exploitation of labor by
capital would likely stop. Capitalists and their ideologists -- e.g.,
economist Martin Feldstein -- are quite aware of this and want to make sure
that unemployment insurance and the like don't undermine workers'
proletarian status (though they don't think of these matters in these
terms). (Feldstein lobbied for, and won, the taxing of unemployment
insurance benefits in the U.S.) In the longer run, of course, if the degree
of exploitation is reduced, that dampens the rate of accumulation,
restoring the reserve army of labor and exploitation (as Marx points out in
volume I, chapter 25, of CAPITAL).  (In the medium run, in an economy with
fiat money, inflation is encouraged by this situation.)

There's another interpretation which might be true to Robinson, since she's
referring to poorer, dependent and agricultural, countries in East Asia a
couple of decades ago. She may be comparing the situation of being
exploited by capitalists vs. being in the "traditional" rural sector.

But that interpretation has some problems. If I remember correctly, she was
imbued by the then-fashionable urban bias of development economists (one
that Brad typically rejects), though she thought that the problems of the
countryside could be solved not by urbanization but by a Maoist strategy.
This urban bias included Nobel Prize-winning economist W. Arthur Lewis'
fallacious notion that traditional peasants had a zero marginal product of
labor in agriculture, so that they could be shifted to the "modern" sector
with little or no cost and lots of benefits.

In addition, it ignores the non-market benefits of living in the
countryside, such things as  lack of congestion, clean air, and the social
connectedness of "traditional" families and clans (which provided a
pre-capitalist version of unemployment insurance). (NB: I'm not idealizing
"traditional" society as much as noting that it had benefits which were
lost with marketization. As others have noted, patriarchy rules the
countryside.) What existence of these benefits of living in the countryside
indicate is that it's not just a matter of the "pull" factors of the city
encouraging people to voluntarily move to the fetid  shanty-towns that ring
third-world metropoli. There are also "push" factors, such as the rapid
commercialization (marketization) of agriculture, the grabbing of the best
land by the new commercialized land-lords, etc. (These factors make the
countryside even less crowded, as less labor-intensive techniques are
applied by commercial farmers, but dirty the air with pesticides,
herbicides, and the like, while destroying the security arising from family
and clan connectedness.) Push factors may include such matters as "la
violencia" in Colombia (the Liberal/Conservative civil war), which with US
guidance has morphed into the equally repellent "war on drugs."

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] & http://liberalarts.lmu.edu/~JDevine