>>> Jim Devine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 05/18/00 01:28PM >>>

>Draper follows a somewhat controversial position, since he treats Marx and
>Engels totally as a team, with no significant disagreements.  For him,
>"Marx" is sometimes used as short-hand for Marx-and-Engels, though in
>citations he is always clear about which said what.
>
>____________
>
>CB: Bravo ! Me too. That's not controversial with me.

it's controversial with Hegelian-Marxists, such as the followers of Raya
Dunayevskaya (sp?), who see Marx as being Hegelian and Engels as not.

_________

CB: Yes, indeedy. Raya D. lived in Detroit for a while, and there is a
Marxist-Humanist chapter here. I attended a number of their meetings a few years ago,
and read a number of her books. Alas,  I soon observed what you said. Anti-Engelism is
a key component of her theory. Lenin fairs a little better. She says Lenin stopped one
paragraph short in Hegel, but otherwise he did pretty good. Nonetheless, I try to
learn about Hegel from the Marxist-Humanists.

There are a number of other schools of Marxist thought that claim a big difference
between Engels and Marx, so I was trying to get a measure of Draper.

CB