The thread on globalization seems to be very valuable.  Much like the
debates about the mode of production in developing countries in the 60s,
it has important implications for political action.

The Rethinking Marxism debate, in contrast, seems to serve no other
purpose other than reopening old wounds.  We are weak enough that we do
not to fight each other.  Yes, I realize that bad tactics can also
fragment a movement.  Recall the repression that would follow Bakunin's
periodic announcements of revolutionary takeovers.

On a narrow U.S., note: I have been hearing the hoopla about FDR in
recent days.  I suspect that he was no more courageous nor visionary
than Clinton.  He had fewer money troubles, but was also a womanizer.
FDR and Nixon, for that matter, had strong protest movements that pushed
them forward.  Clinton gets a free ride.  Let us keep our eye on the
real enemies.  Whether you agree with RM, postmodernism, Leninist,
Trostskyist, or Stalinist politics is not as important as getting
something real done when, as in the U.S., Clinton and the Republicans
can sit down in a room and negotiate a budget, leaving Dick Gephart to
represent the people.  We are in a sorry fix and need to get something
done.
--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department