[Sorry -- I clicked the send instead of the quote button on the
preceding empty post.]

Louis Proyect wrote:

> >Either that or people actually *liked* having their teeth fall out...
> >
> >Brad DeLong
>
> I don't think the discussion is about dental hygeine. It is about the right
> of a Vietnamese in the 60s or a Colombian peasant today to not have napalm
> dropped on them because they believe that the development theories of Walt
> Rostow are inappropriate to their society.

This seems correct -- but it also seems to indicate the irrelevance or
even obscurantist nature of long arguments about whether some other
people are/were happier in Situation A rather than Situation B. The
latter kind of argument seems always to tend either toward some
mechanical assertion of Progress with an uppercase P or towards
some sort of nostalgia for the simple life. We need to understand
prior states of society as deeply and in as much detail as possible --
but really important political arguments should never be made to
hang on a particular description of some such prior state. Empirical
knowledge of the past is always subject to constant change, partly
to shifted perspectives on available information.

Carrol