Thanks for the clarification, but I thought Congress passed a bill last
year stipulating that air express companies such as Fed Ex would have to be
organized nationally. As I recall, it was a provision tucked into some
other bill, which Clinton signed. Does anybody know what bill that was?

-- Jim Cullen

>Not to be too picky, but in the description below of the fact that the
>Teamsters are forced to organize FedEx employees nationally rather than
>location by location, the author describes this as a consequence of a "new
>law."  Hardly so.  This is a requirement contained in the Railway Labor Act
>of 1926.  As I understand the facts, the Teamsters had claimed that FedEx
>employees were covered under the NLRA (1935), which would have allowed
>organizing site by site or at least community by community.  FedEx claimed
>their workers were covered by the RLA (which includes airline employees).
>After hearings and legal appeals, the government in its wisdom decided to
>apply the RLA rather than the NLRA, thus compelling the Teamsters to conduct
>their organizing drive on nationwide basis in a single bargaining unit,
>which is what they are now doing.  UPS drivers have been enlisted as
>volunteer organizers, since they often cross paths with FedEx drivers in the
>course of their work.
>
>In solidarity,
>Michael

(the rest deleted)

THE PROGRESSIVE POPULIST
James M. Cullen, Editor
P.O. Box 150517, Austin, Texas 78715-0517
Phone: 512-447-0455
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Home page: http://www.eden.com/~reporter