Up till now, the level of spam was low.  I had pen-l set so that anybody
could post to us.  We got only a handful of spams, and some activist
outsiders were able to tell us things of interest.

I had not made that feature public, but it did help to keep pen-l a bit
more open.  So now, we have the settings changed.

Of course, somebody can, and this has already occurred, signed on just
to spam.  I do not wish to interrogate all applicants at this time.  As
a result, people can join pen-l under false pretenses, as Karl C. did a
week or so ago.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department