>>The way to say it without sounding like a chauvanist is to say it like a
>>feminist. There is no cultural basis for asserting that Sr. Nirmala is
>>acting out of an Indian cultural perspective. The beauty of culture is its
>>adaptability. The Indian pantheon of religions include many female deities,
>>and their is no Hindu sanction against abortion. The cultural imperialism
>>of Europe and the patriarchy of Roman Catholicism (objected to by most
>>Catholic women I might add) is what Sr. Nirmala is dutifully regergitating
>>as per the requirements of subservience in her Catholic church heirarchy.
>>
>>The rigidity of the backward patriarachal Euro-Centrated position you find
>>objectionable in Sr. Nirmala comes from Rome and hundreds of years of
>>Vatican mysogynist jibberish. It hails from no where else.
>
>So what about dowry, widow burning, restrictions on property ownership, and
>all that stuff?
>
>Doug

Hmmm, diverse points galore;
1.  I DO consider myself a feminist, and was trying to think of the feminist
response-- while you present part of a feminist response, Doug is right,
women aren't exactly treated as **revered equals** in Indian society.  In
addition to the points he made, the use of sonograms in India these days is
used primarily to abort female children.  I guess that's better than drowning
them at birth...  India is one of the few countries in the world with a
female SHORTAGE.  There are only about 93 women for every 100 men--hmmm,
kinda blows the theory that shortages increase the price of an object.  The
primary problem I have is that it seems any critique of another country by
someone from the USA frequently gets redressed with charges of cultural
chauvanism.  I was politely trying to find a way of saying that the Catholic
Church increases the oppression of women in an already oppressive society.
2.  However, I certainly agree that catholicism always puts the most
backward/patriarchal spin on any local culture.  For instance, before
Catholicism took hold in Wales, women's decison making percentage in the
household was a direct result of the percentage of marriage property they
provided.  A twice or thrice widowed woman would have more say over the
household than her husband.  All unmarried women were virgins--virginity had
nothing to do with sex.  Further, women could seek divorce from an unfaithful
or abusive husband.  The catholics stopped that shit dead in its tracks.  I
am sure that,** :-)as a feminist:-)**, you could supply more examples.
maggie coleman [EMAIL PROTECTED]